How to prepare your vehicle for winter
With fall just around the corner, it’s time to start preparing your vehicle for winter. As your trusted neighbourhood mechanic, OCTO Auto Service Plus has put together 10 tips to help you get your car ready for colder weather.
- Perform a thorough inspection. This is probably the most important step in preparing your vehicle for winter. Have your vehicle’s alignment, brakes, battery, alternator, fluids, starter, heating system and more inspected by a professional before the cold weather hits.
- Clean your vehicle inside and out. Clean up any leftover sunscreen on the upholstery, fingerprints on the windows, dried mud, sand, crushed insects, sap and other signs of summer. You can choose to tackle the cleaning yourself or bring your vehicle to the professionals. The choice is yours. However, car detailing specialists have the tools and products to make your car look its best.
- Apply a protective wax. Once your car is clean, apply a high-quality wax to make it shine and help protect it from the elements.
- Replace the windshield wiper blades. If your wiper blades have seen better days, it may be time to replace them with a model that’s designed to withstand high winds, ice and snow.
- Change the windshield washer fluid. Drain your summer windshield washer fluid and replace it with a product that has de-icing properties. If possible, look for one that’s rated for temperatures as low as -40 C.
- Check the engine oil. Check to see if your vehicle needs an oil change or a top-up. Especially in winter, too little or too much oil can damage certain components in your engine.
- Give your car a rustproofing treatment. Sand, salt, slush and dirt can be hard on the outside of your vehicle. If you haven’t already, give your vehicle a rustproofing treatment to prevent damage.
- Polish the headlights. Seeing and being seen is essential on the road, especially when visibility is reduced due to darkness or blowing snow. Polishing your headlights allows you to see farther, which increases your chances of avoiding obstacles.
- Install winter tires. From December 1st to March 15th, all motorized road vehicles registered in Quebec must be equipped with winter tires. Take this as your reminder to make an appointment at your nearest OCTO Auto Service Plus to have your tires changed.
- Update your first aid kit. Replace any missing items in your first aid kit and make sure you include traction aids, warm clothes and a small shovel in case of an emergency.
OCTO Auto Service Plus: all-season car maintenance
You can trust OCTO, your neighborhood mechanic, to give your vehicle the care and attention it deserves. Make an appointment today at your local OCTO to get your vehicle ready for winter.